EXPO 2010 State Grid Pavilion
Client:Shanghai Municipal Electric Power Company
Product Category:Public building, and cultural and educational convention & exhibition
Specialty Involved:Building, structure, M&E, BIM and curtain wall
An “energy box” is used at the entry to try to create an open and pleasant atmosphere through aerial and lifting design.
• Use of orthogonal-diagonal lattice quadrilateral spatial frame structure to realize the architect’s conception of the exterior façade;
• Use of the surface oblique grid of the building both as a decorative structural member and a bearing structure;
• Creation of a spatial stress system by the crossover column grid and the roof structure of the building; no use of vertical corner columns in four corners, achieving a smoother crossover grid splicing for the exterior façade;
• No use of the floor horizontal members used for conventional buildings on the main façade, embodying a relatively high integrity; presentation of the entire staircase/elevator room as a huge latticed column; adoption of plane or spatial for the floor beam;
• Profiled steel sheet and concrete combined floor (roof) + combined beam structure planned to be adopted for the slab and roof.
• Use of the aerial space of the “magic box” and the building to create its own shading zone with a total area of 1,100m2;
• Design of visitors’ queuing passageway direction into the summer prevailing wind direction, thus to avoid direct sunlight and provide cool breeze for people in the waiting zone;
• Adoption of solar thermal collectors to heat the air in the patio, and utilization of thermal pressure to create a natural draft effect and keep a steady breeze in the waiting zone;
• Cooling by the fine water mist cooling system for local cooling by about 2℃.
Curtain wall design
● Second prize of Best Green Analysis and Application Award
● Silver prize (architectural electrical design) of China Architectural Design Award 2013
● Third prize for public building and residential building of the Award for Excellent Design of Building Equipment (HVAC) of the 4th Architectural Society of China (ASC)
● First prize of Best BIM Engineering Design Award
● Second prize for Best BIM Collaborative Design
● Third prize (CHEN Yu) of the 8th Shanghai (International) Youth Architecture Design Work Exhibition
● Third prize of Excellent Engineering Survey and Design Award of Shanghai 2011